Sunday, January 5, 2014

Planting seeds in the air

When preparing for my first return trip to El Salvador, I made sure that I had all of my stuff, my passport, clothes, insurance card, toiletries, etc. I prepared mentally for what I knew I was going to experience, and I also prepared spiritually for what God was going to do while we were in El Salvador. However, the thought did not even cross my mind that God could be using me when we were not actually in the country. We all know the verse Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." God has a plan for everything, even when we do not know what that plan is. When we were boarding the plane from Newark to Houston, they were overbooked by 30 people. Needless to say, I was not sitting by anyone else on the team. Bailey came over and informed me that there was an empty seat by Christa, and I could change seats if I wanted to. For some odd reason I decided to stay in my seat, next to a man with the last name Rodriguez who was in the Air Force. He has been serving for a few years, and he has a child and a wife. It dawned on me during this four hour flight that God places us in the situations we are for a reason, and we are not on mission just when we are in our destination country; we are on mission while we are traveling as well. This hit me about the last 45 minutes or so of the flight. I then proceeded to take out my Bible and pray. I then started to make conversation with the man and told him about why we were going to La Libertad. I got to plant a seed in this man's life, and we were still in the United States. I don't know what impact I had on Mr. Rodriguez, but I know that it was God's plan. Had I changed seats, I would have missed out on an amazing opportunity. God has a plan for us all the time, not just when we expect it. -Gabe Sigmon

1 comment:

  1. Way to be sensitive to the Spirit's leading Gabe. Very proud of your boldness.

    ReplyDelete