Friday, January 10, 2014

Learning From Different Cultures

On Monday January 6th our team went to a very poor community called Caoba to pass out bags filled with health items like soap, toothbrushes, and deodorant. We called these bags "Smile Bags" and we had them made specifically for girls, boys, women, or men. Our group split into two to cover more ground, with one group beginning at the top of the property and moving down and the other beginning at the bottom of the property and moving up. I learned two main things from this experience: I've never truly understood how blessed I am and how different cultures are. My parents have always instilled in me to be grateful, always finish my plate, etc., but no matter how many times you're told, "They are starving kids who would love those vegetables," it can't truly be understood until you have seen it for yourself. These people were truly in need of theses bags; these bags will be a great help to all of them. Yet they were things that I use everyday without a second thought. It is impossible for me to express all of this through words on a blog, so I ask that whoever reads this goes out and sees true poverty for themselves. Whether in another country, or simply in a urban environment somewhere I understand now how important it is to learn how those of a completely different standing in life live. Along with this, I have learned how completely important it is to experience different cultures. When we handed out these bags, the people there were so extremely grateful and excited. I don't believe any culture is inherently better than any other, but each one that I have experienced has certain areas that others can learn from. In this case I realized that our culture could learn from theirs by becoming as grateful as they. So I implore you, whoever is reading this blog, experience true poverty for yourself and experience other cultures. Your worldview will be broadened and you will be able to empathize with so many more of the people God has created.   -Luke Christofferson


No comments:

Post a Comment